Hayes (Kent) History

/*! elementor - v3.17.0 - 08-11-2023 */ .elementor-heading-title{padding:0;margin:0;line-height:1}.elementor-widget-heading .elementor-heading-title[class*=elementor-size-]>a{color:inherit;font-size:inherit;line-height:inherit}.elementor-widget-heading .elementor-heading-title.elementor-size-small{font-size:15px}.elementor-widget-heading .elementor-heading-title.elementor-size-medium{font-size:19px}.elementor-widget-heading .elementor-heading-title.elementor-size-large{font-size:29px}.elementor-widget-heading .elementor-heading-title.elementor-size-xl{font-size:39px}.elementor-widget-heading .elementor-heading-title.elementor-size-xxl{font-size:59px}

Hayes (Kent) History

/*! elementor - v3.17.0 - 08-11-2023 */ .elementor-column .elementor-spacer-inner{height:var(--spacer-size)}.e-con{--container-widget-width:100%}.e-con-inner>.elementor-widget-spacer,.e-con>.elementor-widget-spacer{width:var(--container-widget-width,var(--spacer-size));--align-self:var(--container-widget-align-self,initial);--flex-shrink:0}.e-con-inner>.elementor-widget-spacer>.elementor-widget-container,.e-con>.elementor-widget-spacer>.elementor-widget-container{height:100%;width:100%}.e-con-inner>.elementor-widget-spacer>.elementor-widget-container>.elementor-spacer,.e-con>.elementor-widget-spacer>.elementor-widget-container>.elementor-spacer{height:100%}.e-con-inner>.elementor-widget-spacer>.elementor-widget-container>.elementor-spacer>.elementor-spacer-inner,.e-con>.elementor-widget-spacer>.elementor-widget-container>.elementor-spacer>.elementor-spacer-inner{height:var(--container-widget-height,var(--spacer-size))}.e-con-inner>.elementor-widget-spacer.elementor-widget-empty,.e-con>.elementor-widget-spacer.elementor-widget-empty{position:relative;min-height:22px;min-width:22px}.e-con-inner>.elementor-widget-spacer.elementor-widget-empty .elementor-widget-empty-icon,.e-con>.elementor-widget-spacer.elementor-widget-empty .elementor-widget-empty-icon{position:absolute;top:0;bottom:0;left:0;right:0;margin:auto;padding:0;width:22px;height:22px}

LEGGE, Geoffrey Bevington

LEGGE, Geoffrey Bevington 26 January 1903 – 21 November 1940 At the age of ten in 1913 Geoffrey Legge moved with his parents Henry and Edith to the Nest in Hayes. After the First World War, he joined his father in his firm originally established as paper manufacturing agents. He continued to live with his […]

Street House

Street HouseGeorge Lane, HayesGrade II listed building18th century Street House is a listed Georgian building that sits at the junction of George Lane and Hayes Street. Its grounds originally stretched from The Walnut Tree in the south to beyond Hayes Wood Avenue in the east.  Position of Street House on Tithe Map 1841 The ownership […]

St Mary Cottages

St Mary Cottages12-30 Baston Road, HayesGrade II Listed1888 A fine terrace of ten Victorian cottages in Baston Road that were designed by George Devey (1820-1886) for Everard Alexander Hambro of Hayes Place. These cottages were built on the site of the former Poplar Cottages. Originally the numbers went from 1-10 St Mary Cottages, later they […]

Hayes Farmhouse

HAYES FARMHOUSE239 Hayes LaneGrade II Listed Building1780s The death of the tenant farmer George Hoeltschi in December 2018 resulted in the farmhouse and its associated farmyard and buildings, commonly known as Hayes Street Farm, ceasing to exist for any agricultural purposes. However, the farmhouse, which is situated to the north of the George Inn and has […]

The Old Rectory

Old Rectory/Hayes Library57 Hayes StreetGrade II Listed1757 One of the oldest and most interesting buildings in Hayes is currently used as the local library. For almost  200 years it served as the Rectory and we are fortunate that documents survive that describe both the specification and the difficulties that occurred in 1757 in building this replacement […]

The Walnut Tree

The Walnut Tree45 Hayes StreetGrade II Listed BuildingLate 18th Century For over two centuries the Walnut Tree served the village of Hayes, initially as a baker’s and then as a confectioner’s and newsagent’s until 2003 when it closed. It became residential accommodation.  The National Grade II listing in 1973  refers to the building as late 18th […]

New Model Cottages

New Model Cottages21/23 Hayes StreetGrade II Listed1889 A delightful pair of cottages designed to look like one which were the work of George Devey (1820-1886), architect to Everard Hambro, and possibly completed later by James Williams. Nationally listed in 1994 as an example of George Devey’s work at its very best. Each cottage consisted of […]

Whites Cottages

WHITES COTTAGES,Pickhurst GreenGrade II Listed buildingLate 16th century to early 17th century The entry on the Historic England website for the national listing in 1988 suggests that these cottages may be the earliest surviving example in Hayes of a building with a late Tudor connection.  Weatherboarded timber framing; tiled steeply pitched roof to eaves. Square […]

Hayes Grove Cottage

Hayes Grove Cottage 1987 Hayes Grove CottageWest Common RoadGrade II Listed BuildingFrom end 18th century  Hayes Grove Cottage started its life as two cottages that seem to have been built towards the end of the 18th century on Churchfield, land owned by the Parish, by a journeyman bricklayer George Kadwell who occupied one of the […]

MOYSEY, Frederick

Moysey, Frederick20 February 1781 – June 1863Barrister Frederick Moysey was the son of Abel Moysey and called to the bar on 22 November 1808. His sister, Charlotte Moysey of Pickhurst Mead, who died in 1846, left him £5000 in her will,  Although she left her house to her nephew Henry Gorges Moysey, it was agreed […]