STRONG, Clement & Catherine Bridget
Abt. 1793 – 1852 1794 – 1870
Revd Clement Strong became a priest in 1816, married Catherine Briscoe who was born in Limpsfield where their children were born in the 1820s. They had connections with the Norman family of Bromley Common and took the lease of Hayes Common House (Hayes Court) in 1851. Soon afterwards Clement died but his widow Catherine remained.
She made a large contribution of £200 to the building of the north aisle of Hayes Parish Church in 1856 and also was one of ‘the gentry’ who contributed to the splendid East Window commissioned in 1856 in memory of George Herman Norman, the son of George Warde Norman, who was killed in the Crimean War.
In 1861 her unmarried son Leonard and daughter Clare lived with her and she had 7 servants. Ann Rules, aged 78, a nurse, was an old family retainer. Her butler William Ford was younger but sadly three years later committed suicide by shooting himself whilst in one of the shrubberies at Hayes Court.
Catherine also contributed £150 towards the rebuilding of the church tower and spire whose architect was George Gilbert Scott.
On 22 March 1867 she took out a new lease with Lady Maria Pilkington (the owner of the property) for Hayes Common House (Hayes Court) at a rent of £200 a year. It was agreed that there would be six months notice and the building would be insured for £3500. She continued to live there until her death three years later.