New Model Cottages
21/23 Hayes Street
Grade II Listed
A delightful pair of cottages designed to look like one which were the work of George Devey (1820-1886), architect to Everard Hambro, and possibly completed later by James Williams. Nationally listed in 1994 as an example of George Devey’s work at its very best.
Each cottage consisted of two rooms and a scullery on the ground floor and three bedrooms on the second floor.
21 Hayes Street
It has an L shaped building plan, red brick to the ground floor with black beams and white pebble dash to the first floor. The red tiled roof is terminated at each end by transverse roofs with gables to front and rear. The first floor is jettied and has a Venetian style window. The area below the jetty is supported by strong curved bracket beams at each end. On the ground floor are a four casement window and a further window on the side, also a casement but of metal construction. All the windows have leaded lights.
It is unclear who was the first occupant but by 1900 it was occupied by Mrs Rebecca Poynter who had recently been widowed when her husband Frederick, the local blacksmith, died. She is recorded in the 1901 census as the owner of the Smith’s shop and after her death in January 1911 her son William lived at 21 Hayes Street until the First World War. Arthur Carter, who safely returned from the war, resided there with his family until replaced by Richard Piper in 1928.
When the house came up for sale in 1931 it was described as a substantially constructed semi-detached residence, let on a weekly tenancy to Mr Piper.
Albert Collard bought both this and the next door cottage for £1150 and lived there until his death in 1956. Kenneth Smith was the occupant in 1962.
A major fire occurred in the roof in 1984 which resulted in the roof caving in and damage by fire, smoke and water to the first floor.The neighbouring property lived in by Mrs Henderson was also slightly affected. Aileen Kennedy was the occupant by 1990.
In the 21st century there have been a number of planning applications to extend the property at the rear including a single storey conservatory in 2004 and in 2019 Mr & Mrs Clarke were given permission for a part single/part two storey side and rear extension. Consent was also given for a roof replacement for Nos 21 & 23.
23 Hayes Street
This cottage is gabled and adjoins the cross gable of No. 21 but lies at right angle to it. Linking the two houses is the principal chimney breast to No 23, the side of which faces the front and has an attractively corbelled top. On the ground floor are two small casement windows and on the first floor an attractive oriel window. The entrance door is on the side.
The first occupant was the builder Noah Boxall whose wife Mary died in 1899 but in 1901, at the age of 64, he married Harriet Stacey. He died in 1921 but his widow still lived in 23 Hayes Street in 1931 when this ‘superior modern cottage style residence’ came up for sale and was bought by Albert Collard. She died in March 1938.
Sir Everard Hambro also had the neighbouring properties, 25/27 Hayes Street, built as Model Cottages. They have not been nationally listed although they are on the Council’s local list.