1743 – 1831
Judge, MP for Bath, Deputy Remembrancer of the Court of Exchequer
Abel Moysey took over the lease of Hayes Grove in 1823. He and his family had known both Vicary and Lady Gibbs for many years before they moved to Hayes and in the correspondence there are frequent references to meetings. Abel had four children and his sons, Abel and Frederick, followed their father’s legal career and qualified for the bar. Another son Charles entered the church and became Archdeacon of Bath from 1820-39. His daughter Charlotte, a gifted artist, lived with him at The Grove. There is a remarkable book of her paintings of the plants and flowers found around Hayes and on the Common between 1824 and 1828 in the Fraser Archives in Aberdeen. She and Marianne Fraser were clearly friends and in 1812, for instance, played a piano duet at a musical evening. Charles Fraser also referred to Charlotte’s exceptional musical talent and they often shared evening entertainments at each other’s houses.
It is therefore not surprising that when Samuel Nevil Ward left Hayes Grove in 1823 that Marianne should offer to let the house to Charlotte and her father Abel. After Abel’s death at Hayes in 1831 Charlotte remained at Hayes Grove with all the furniture which she inherited until her new house, Pickhurst Mead, was ready for her in 1834. Charlotte continued to help the poor of Hayes as her father Abel had done during his time at Hayes Grove.