citizen and felt maker
John Harrison bought Hayes Place and its estate from Sir Stephen Scott in 1695. He died in 1713 and left the property to his wife Sarah and on her death to his son Joseph. Another son John, a soap maker, with his mother Sarah, took out a mortgage on the property in 1720. The following year she was involved with a dispute about her lawful right to a pew in the church.
After her death in about 1730, the property was leased to Lynthwaite Farrant and then a number of tenants including the Rt Honourable Edward Montagu in 1751. John and his wife had taken out a further mortgage on the property in 1742. He and his brother Joseph later sold William Pitt both the house and their other property and land in Hayes.