Hayes (Kent) History

Hayes (Kent) History

Hayes Trail

The Hayes Trail is a circular trail around the buildings that survive from the Parish of Hayes in 1914. It was devised as part of the ‘Hayes Remembers‘ exhibition and details who lived there, what happened to the inhabitants and the effect of the war on Hayes.

The circular trail (approximately 6 miles long in total), divided into five walks, starts at the Parish Church, St Mary the Virgin, Hayes Street, and returns to the War Memorial and Churchyard. A separate walk covers part of Hayes Road, which is now in Bromley. There are ninety-four properties or groups of properties covered, ranging from the larger properties such as Hayes Court and Hayes Grove (both listed buildings) to smaller Victorian cottages such as those in Baston Road.

The present research has revealed the names of 261 men who were born, lived, worked or owned property in Hayes, who served in the First World War. There were 61 casualties.

The 88-page colour trail has 124 photographs and maps. Book size height 210mm, width 150mm. Although out of print there are plans to publish a reprint.

To find out more information, please email charles@wimble.uk